The Order was created by Dr.Rob Morris in 1850 when he set down the principles of the order in his Rosary of the Eastern Star. By 1855, he had organized a “Supreme Constellation” in New York, which chartered chapters throughout the United States.
In 1866, Dr. Morris started working with Robert Macoy and handed the Order over to him while he traveled in the Holy Land. Macoy organized the current system of Chapters, and modified Dr. Morris’ Rosary into a Ritual.
On December 1, 1874, Queen Esther Chapter No. 1 became the first Prince Hall Affiliated chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star when it was established in Washington, D.C. by Thornton Andrew Jackson.
The “General Grand Chapter” was formed in Indianapolis, Indiana on November 6, 1876. Committees formed at that time created the Ritual of the Order of the Eastern Star in more or less its current form.
On May 24, 1862, Queen Esther Chapter No. 1, Queen of Sheba Chapter No. 2, Gethsemane Chapter No. 3, located in Washington, DC, and Electa Chapter No. 2, Queen Esther Chapter No. 5, and Queen of Sheba Chapter No. 6 located in the State of Maryland, held a Convention for the purpose of organizing a Grand Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star for the District of Columbia and its jurisdiction. The convention composed of the duly accredited delegates and representatives from the above-named Chapters assembled at 708 O Street, NW, Washington, DC, in the Chapter Room of Queen of Sheba Chapter No. 2 and after deliberation did form the Georgianna Thomas Grand Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star on Adoptive Rite of Free Masonry for the District of Columbia and its jurisdiction.